Shepherdstown, West Virginia 2011

Molly

Viesti Kirjoittaja Molly »

Such a tragedy. Mom`s finally got the fish but the little one hasn`t been moving for a while now. I hope to be wrong.

Kuva
All the birds have flown up and gone; A lonely cloud floats leisurely by. We never tire of looking at each other - Only the mountain and I. -Li Po-
Millan

Viesti Kirjoittaja Millan »

Surullista...So sad...
Marita...sääksikummitäti
Pb
Site Admin
Site Admin
Viesti:

Viesti Kirjoittaja Pb »

Kuva

Bye Bye Paddy... :what:
Ei minua varten tarvii keittää... :cb:
Annie

Viesti Kirjoittaja Annie »

Kuva
Annie

:what: The new day is begining... Belle has been up and checked the nest cub couple of times. Think, if the egg should be fine and yet hatchedl! Can it be even possible?? I guess, I'm dreaming... :(

Kuva

Just now it's peaceful, only wind. I try later put some pics here from yesterday.
Millan

Viesti Kirjoittaja Millan »

I did come at this touching moment
Kuva

Belle was calling like careful
Kuva
She went off
Kuva
Marita...sääksikummitäti
robbo

Viesti Kirjoittaja robbo »

Sadly I think its safe to assume that this breeding attempt has failed this year, I have not been watching the nest for long so does anyone know did something happen to the male at this nest site, has he disappeared ?

Kuva
robbo

I think the eagle shown is a new female, probably the intruder that caused the nest failure, it must be one tough bird as apparently it has succeeded in driving off both the resident pair, as the resident male has been seen at the nest site regularly

Kuva
Mimmu

Viesti Kirjoittaja Mimmu »

Robbo, this from NCTC Eagle nest updates:

March 21, 2011

In upcoming weeks, we will do our very best to post regular, factual updates that are grounded in science. Over the weekend, we were able to confirm the presence of a third adult eagle near the nest, and we are almost certain that it is a breeding age female. Typically, the presence of a new female means she is competing with the established pair of eagles for the current nest and the territory that goes with it. Nest competition is a common occurrence in areas with healthy eagle populations, meaning the total population of eagles near NCTC has likely increased in recent years.

We have also confirmed multiple sightings of the male eagle who is part of the established breeding pair. The male does not appear to be injured, and seems to be in good health. The eaglet which hatched on March 17th has died and the remaining egg is not likely to hatch given that it is not being regularly incubated by the parents.

We do have biologists on staff here at NCTC who are available to share their expert assessments of the situation. In addition, our land manager has been communicating with another raptor biologist based in our Chesapeake Bay field office. There is general agreement that if the new female eagle is successful in chasing off the current female, the new female will then need to recruit a male to join her. However, it is likely too late in the nesting season for success in laying, incubating and hatching any new eggs.

You may wonder why there is competition over this nest - and there are several potential factors. Eagles prefer to nest in the tops of large trees located near rivers, lakes, and other wetlands. The NCTC nest is located very close to the Potomac River, which is a plentiful source of fish for nesting eagles to hunt. In addition, eagle nests represent a considerable investment of effort to construct: they can be up to 10 feet in diameter and weigh up to 2,000 lbs. And finally, as mentioned above, nest competition frequently occurs in areas with a significant eagle population.
Annie

As I promised here some earlier pics. Couldn't make it yesterday and
had great difficulties today figure out of a large number of images...

The Sunday 20 March 2011, when Paddy died.

Paddy weakened. After couple of minutes Mom came, she saw... I thought, now she will go for a fish! She left. ( I turned the cam off)

Kuva Kuva At 18:17 - 18:21 CET

When I some hours later turned on... It had happened. Belle screamed painfully a while... later angrily to an intruder (?) upwards looking... again and again... and then watched quietly at Paddy standing in place for a long time... Began eat the fish and several times like asking, Paddy, you want a bit? Once the fish almost fall to the nest cub on Paddy, Belle frightened it very much.

Kuva Kuva Kuva Pain, Grief.

Kuva The Fish ~ You want some?

Kuva Brooding. Lost.

Belle vocalized painfully many hours...Night came, and she began to incubate them, she was sitting on the egg and dead Paddy tending them.

Kuva

Following day Belle buried Paddy and the Egg in the nest cub - today she did it a second time.
Molly

Viesti Kirjoittaja Molly »

This was one of those so sad stories that are taking place in the nature all the time......without us knowing anything about them :what:
But still..... Thank You Annie for sharing that with us :sad2:
All the birds have flown up and gone; A lonely cloud floats leisurely by. We never tire of looking at each other - Only the mountain and I. -Li Po-
robbo

Thanks Mimmu and Annie for the updates and pictures. :cry:
Annie

robbo kirjoitti:I think the eagle shown is a new female, probably the intruder that caused the nest failure, it must be one tough bird as apparently it has succeeded in driving off both the resident pair, as the resident male has been seen at the nest site regularly

Kuva
Agree with you robbo: One tough bird! :? Saw this, the Intruder came after Belle had just flew off, maybe fishing. Intruder examined the grave of Paddy and the Egg and arranged places!! :x - - - This is Belle's and Liberty's nest for long time.

Kuva

Kuva

Kuva

Kuva

Cource this is the nature, but... :roll: :? :what:
Annie

Here's something too, even in the message which Mimmu sent, were already said a lot.

Annie

Lukittu