Blackwater Refuge, Maryland 2011

Annie

Viesti Kirjoittaja Annie »

:flowerhat: Nest Update :smilie_wet_150:

02/21/11:
Chick Alert!
Our second chick has hatched! :hanger2: :bounce: :chick: :hearts:

Also, we've updated the Eagle Cam Gallery with photos of our first eaglet hatching. We spread the photo credits around; thanks to all those who sent in shots.

The third chick could hatch around Feb. 22-24.:hatch:
Annie

Breakfast for two served by Mom.
Kuva

Lunch.
KuvaKuva
Annie

:flowerhat: Nest Update :smilie_wet_150:

02/24/11:
Chick Alert!
Our third chick has hatched! :hanger2: :bounce: :chick: :hearts:

http://www.friendsofblackwater.org/camhtm2.html

Annie

Kuva Lively three.
Annie

Nest Update 03/02/11:

Our oldest eaglet took a trip outside the nest cup on Tuesday. It also looked like he was trying to help mom tear off fish bites.

Annie

Kuva
Annie

Nest Update, 03/13/11:
Our youngest eaglet has had several meals this weekend, including Sunday at noon:

http://www.friendsofblackwater.org/camhtm2.html
robbo

Viesti Kirjoittaja robbo »

The youngest of the 3 is very small compared to the the others I wonder if he will make it

Kuva
Annie

An important question you made, robbo. You made me read the Web Log more carefully! ;)

This is what I founded:

Feb 27 2011
1st egg : Laid: 1/13/11, Hatched: 2/19/11
2nd egg : Laid: 1/16/11, Hatched: 2/21/11
3rd egg : Laid: 1/20/11, Hatched: 2/24/11

Our third chick is quite a bit younger than our oldest chick, but the youngster seems to be positioning itself to get its share of the meals. Also, we’ve seen the adult reach over the other chicks to give the youngest some of the food, which is a good sign and is what our parents did in 2005 when we had three chicks.

Mar 04 2011
We also saw a sequence where it was clear that both parents were feeding the eaglets together, which would increase the chances that the youngest eaglet would get part of the meal, too.

In the final sequence, which was from this morning, we saw the youngest eaglet getting assertive and crawling up to a bird that the parent was plucking. The youngster decided that being stuck at the back of the line just wasn’t going to cut it, so he got himself in position to get one of the first bites from the meal. This behavior, combined with the parents looking out for him, makes us feel good about the youngest eaglet’s chances thus far.

Mar 10 2011
What happens is he’s learned that if one of the older birds pecks him, he can put his head down and the pecking will likely stop. He picks his head up once it seems safe to do so. He has also learned that sometimes it’s better to wait until the older eaglets have fed before trying to get fed himself. The older eaglets are more likely to leave him alone then.

So at this point, it seems like our youngest eaglet is doing all the right things. If all goes well, by the end of May he’ll be close to full size and he won’t be as easy to push around.

Mar 16 2011
Our youngest eaglet continues to hang in there and
into meal time. He’s still small and he has a lot of catching up to do, but he looks healthy and active, which at this age is about the best we could hope for.

- - - - -

I do not know what is the significance of the fact that the third egg was laid 7 days after the first egg, and 4 days after the second egg. The eggs were laid in 8 days and they hatched in 6 days. But however, it looks well so far with the youngest and signs are good. I'm happy for that.
:hanger:
robbo

Thanks for posting the log entries annie, I am still suprised by the difference in size of the smallest to the size of the other 2 eaglets. I dont know anything about bald eagle breeding biology,so dont know if this is normal or if rearing three young is the exception to the rule. Considering the the clear size difference I like you wonder about the significance of the last egg which of course is the last hatched. Is it possible I wonder whether the last egg laid lacked the same amount of protein or nutrient which has had the knock on effect of delaying the development of the eaglet. I dont know...just a thought. I hope the little fella makes it :eagle: :eagle: :eagle:
robbo

On taking a look closer at bald eagle fledging success, I found that some pairs indeed do rear three young and this pair below where discovered with a brood of four ready to fledgeKuva

Kuva

So hope fully the youngster will be fine :eagle: :eagle: :eagle:
robbo

The youngest seems ok certainly getting his share of the food
Kuva

:eagle: :eagle: :eagle:
Annie

:smilie_wet_150:
Thanks robbo intresting thoughts, and those wonderful very much alive young eagle siblings. :D

... he seems to find his way.
Kuva :eagle:
robbo

Our youngest seems to be holding his own :greenstars: :loveshower:

Kuva

:eagle: :eagle: :eagle:
robbo

The youngest is till well behind his siblings but is getting there
Kuva

Kuva