Site Admin

Loch Garten, Scotland 2011

Viesti Kirjoittaja LcAdmin » 28 Joulu 2010 20:01

Please begin your 2011 posts here!

Kuva

Annie

Viesti Kirjoittaja Annie » 10 Tammi 2011 21:14

Happy New Year - 2011
..........and all the very best to you all, for the year ahead.

Let’s not forget about ospreys of course. As I ramble on here about other matters, Jayne is running a check on the latest data available on Rothes’ whereabouts, and has just given me the latest news – and guess what? Rothes is still on Ilha de Unhocomozinho in the Bijagos Islands off Guinea Bissau. The countdown now begins though, for the osprey season ahead and all the intrigue it will bring. Has Rothes become so comfortable with her life in the sun, that she’ll opt to remain where she is? Or will she make a partial migration north perhaps, to the Mediterranean? Or further? Time will tell.

Posted by richard thaxton at 10:29 on 6 January 2011.

http://www.rspb.org.uk/community/blogs/ ... -2011.aspx

Annie

Viesti Kirjoittaja Annie » 06 Maalis 2011 16:14

:smilie_wet_150:

Well it’s March now and the osprey season looms. Which ospreys will come back? How will the season unfold? It’s time to strap yourselves in for the journey ahead. It could all go smoothly, it could get a bit bumpy at times or we could hit major turbulence. Whatever the outcome, I'm sure it’ll prove exciting and intriguing.

Preparations have begun, in the run up to opening the Osprey Centre on 1st April.

Firstly though, let me introduce you to Osprey Team 2011.
Caroline from last year is returning, arriving this weekend ahead of the in-coming new team members Abbi, Charlotte, Stephanie and Stuart. It will be they who’ll be guiding you through the season via the blog or else meeting & greeting you in person if you’re coming to see us this summer – and we hope you do. The Two Julies are returning to work in the shop and we are virtually fully booked with volunteers, with many “old lags” returning, but we also look forward to welcoming some newcomers too, some of you amongst them. We look forward to meeting you.

The cameras will be installed towards the end of March, with live images from the nest enabling you to anticipate the osprey’s arrival.

Posted by richard thaxton at 9:07 on 2 March 2011.

:treehug:

Annie

Viesti Kirjoittaja Annie » 13 Maalis 2011 15:04

:confetti:
From blog/ Loch Garten osprey diary Posted by Caroline Rance at 12:53 on 8 March 2011.

The countdown is on!

Just over 3 weeks to go now before the Osprey Centre opens its doors for another season, has it really been 6 months?!
I remember so clearly standing in the Osprey Centre on a lovely sunny day in August watching the two remaining juveniles sitting in the camera tree, their eldest sibling already having left on migration. One of the youngsters flew up from his perch and started to spiral higher and higher, riding up on the thermals until he was just a tiny dot in the sky, and then... gone. Little did I realise at the time, that that was the last moment I would see him. It feels like just yesterday, yet I wonder what has happened to our ospreys over the winter months. Did all of our youngsters find their way to Africa?

2010 was such a great season and I, like many of you I’m sure, felt so privileged to be able to watch the nest at such close quarters – watching EJ prepare the nest and lay her eggs, watching the chicks hatch out, and see them grow and learn to fly. There were tears and cheers, heart wrenching moments and heart lifting moments... I can’t quite believe that in a few week’s time it is all going to start again!
Meantime, Rothes remains on Ilha de Unhocomozinho, off Guinea Bissau. No sign of her moving... yet.

Annie

Viesti Kirjoittaja Annie » 17 Maalis 2011 20:36

The Camera is on!

Kuva

Wellcome the Ospreys!

... and most of all to here we are waiting for the female and the male of this nest; EJ and Odin.

Annie

Viesti Kirjoittaja Annie » 17 Maalis 2011 21:12

robbo kirjoitti:A male Osprey has returned today to one of the monitored UK nest sites, this bird at the Glaslyn site in North Wales is believed to be the resident male, so it could be anytime soon for the both the loch of the Lowes or loch Garten birds, some UK Ospreys have arrived very early this year

:eagle: :eagle:
That's wonderful, robbo. I read that the male of Glaslyn had arrived five days earlier than usual, so female EJ might come back on 21'st already! Exciteing to see, how it goes, what will be the weather conditions in the future.
:hanger: :smilie_wet_150:

Annie

Viesti Kirjoittaja Annie » 18 Maalis 2011 11:36

About spring migration timing... just read, Alan Petrie had counted how many days different ospreys had used to it:

Regarding how long it takes for the spring migration. I checked the tracked birds and the fastest was Red8T with 14 days and the slowest was Beatrice with 34 days. It all depends on the weather and if they normally have a stopover. Different birds have different strategies.

Thank you, Alan Petrie!
:smiley2085: :slap: :tantrum: .... wellcome all! :confetti: :smilie_wet_150: :eagle: :eagle: :eagle:

Annie

Viesti Kirjoittaja Annie » 18 Maalis 2011 11:43

Kuva Morning has broken...

and a new blog/Loch Garten osprey diary is available :

Annie

Viesti Kirjoittaja Annie » 20 Maalis 2011 09:21

Good Morning's Sun ~ When would it be?

Kuva :treehug: Kuva

http://www.rspb.org.uk/community/groups ... spx#253790 ~Thanks Tiger!

robbo

Viesti Kirjoittaja robbo » 23 Maalis 2011 16:01

A nice male crossbill on the nest but no Osprey

Kuva

robbo

Viesti Kirjoittaja robbo » 24 Maalis 2011 17:23

female Osprey on the garten nest but i dont know if its EJ the resident garten female

Kuva

Annie

Viesti Kirjoittaja Annie » 24 Maalis 2011 19:11

:smilie_wet_150: WOW!!! She is already at her Nest. Welcome EJ! :hanger2:

Kuva Kuva

... and having a some good fish, and looking around - she surely loves what she see!

Millan

Viesti Kirjoittaja Millan » 24 Maalis 2011 19:18

That is great, welcome EJ! :smilie_wet_150:
Marita...sääksikummitäti

Annie

Viesti Kirjoittaja Annie » 24 Maalis 2011 19:42

Video by Teresa
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTYVBaqXGEI[/youtube]

Annie

Viesti Kirjoittaja Annie » 24 Maalis 2011 20:03

Colour ring of EJ is White with black EJ.

Think this osprey is wearing that ring and she is acting like EJ, that she have to be an unknown twin sister of EJ, if isn't her self. Or what you think?

Annie

Viesti Kirjoittaja Annie » 24 Maalis 2011 21:10

:smilie_wet_150:

And got finally her face in cam - couldn't be more EJ. :D

Kuva

So happy to see her and have her back ... maybe Odin will also be earlier this year! :treehug:

At finnish pages two wonderful videos of EJ at the nest made by Ohikulkija and pictures of Saru.

Annie

Viesti Kirjoittaja Annie » 24 Maalis 2011 21:36

Robbo! Special thank you for your message of the female osprey at the nest! I liked much also that male crossbill picture you brought to the page. :smilie_wet_150: :confetti:

robbo

Viesti Kirjoittaja robbo » 24 Maalis 2011 22:40

Good to see her home safe :greenstars: :confetti: :eagle:

tantta

Viesti Kirjoittaja tantta » 25 Maalis 2011 07:39

robbo kirjoitti:Good to see her home safe :greenstars: :confetti: :eagle:
Couldn't agree more :D :D :D
"To do is to be"-Socrates
"To be is to do"-Plato
"Do be do be do"-Frank Sinatra

Annie

Viesti Kirjoittaja Annie » 25 Maalis 2011 09:40

Loch Garten osprey diary

Fasten Your Seatbelts!!

EJ IS BACK!! I cannot begin to describe to you how happy I am to see her, it’s incredible to think that just a few weeks ago she was sunning herself on the west coast of Africa, and now here she is sitting right back on the nest she left only six months ago. At least this time she has some nice weather to welcome her back!

Her exact return time was 2:15pm (so who won the bloggers sweepstake?) when she flew in to the nest with a huge rainbow trout having obviously stopped off at the fish farm on the way!
She took us all by surprise arriving today, the 24th of March, which is the earliest she has ever returned, maybe the good weather over the past few days sped up her journey. It’s great to see her back for her ninth season, at 14 she is getting on a bit in and it’s safe to say there have been a few ups and downs over the years. Even so she has managed to successfully fledge 15 chicks from this nest, quite a record, and here’s hoping we get a few more this year!

I stayed at the centre until half six, just watching her on the nest as the sun set over the hills, it was such a beautiful scene. After I left the centre, I walked down the path to Loch Garten and just sat looking out across the water. The ripples caused by a pair of goldeneye on the far side of the loch were the only movement on the still, calm loch. Then I heard the calls of pink footed geese, and I looked up to see a small flock flying across Loch Garten. They flew right over my head, so close that I could hear the sound of their wings beating. As I wandered home through the forest with the night drawing in I heard a pair of tawny owls calling to each other across the wood. I can’t imagine a more magical setting for such an enchanting story. It’s going to be a great year.

So now we have our beginning, I wonder what the nest chapter will bring. Will Odin return? Will there be a new male on the scene? We’ll all just have to wait and see.

…….

Just to reiterate the message from Richard on the last blog, even though EJ has now returned the centre does not actually open until the 1st of April. Please respect that and don’t come up to the centre, EJ needs time to settle in and we don’t want to spook her off the nest.

We also realise there is an issue with the sound on the webcam, we are working on it and hopefully we will get it sorted tomorrow.

That’s all for today folks! Hold on tight, here we go again!!!!!!

Posted by Caroline Rance at 22:22 on 24 March 2011.

Lukittu

Palaa sivulle “2011”