Viesti Kirjoittaja Pb »

Please begin your 2012 posts here!

Kuva
Ei minua varten tarvii keittää... :cb:
Annie

Viesti Kirjoittaja Annie »

Loch Garten osprey diary / Julie Quirie / 4 Jan 2012

A Very Happy New Year!

A Happy New Year to all our Bloggers and thank you for your greetings and wishes to all the staff Abernethy and Loch Garten.
It looks like 2012 is going to be a exciting year with the Queen's Diamond Jubilee and the London Olympics, but I'm sure the antics of our ospreys will top these two great events!
Keep warm and hope the gales over the past few days haven't caused too much problems for you.

Julie Q
Annie

The Final Countdown....
by Julie Quirie

...... to the 2012 Loch Garten Osprey Season. How exciting is it all getting?

and most important of all, its not long until the anticipated arrival of our resident ospreys EJ and Odin. Going by previous years. EJ should be with us over the coming weekend and Odin about 10 days later.

The nestcam is being put in place as I write and the still 'wider view' camera is already online.
http://www.rspb.org.uk/reserves/guide/l ... nest2.aspx
Annie

EJ was back already even 21 March, I read. Saddly I couldn't follow you arriving this time, because of some troubles of my laptop - at least which occured as troubles.

my best from today Kuva clearly our beloved EJ ;)

:loveshower: You are so welcome - hope that Odin is able to make his come back also this year.
robbo

Viesti Kirjoittaja robbo »

Good to see EJ back safe and sound :D
Annie

Hi robbo :) Today evening EJ has spent more or less in the nest, making some arrangements, but mostly looking out into the distance, the nest in all directions.

Kuva Kuva Kuva Kuva

It has been calm at the nest site this evening. The nest looks to me more like a meadows, as an osprey's nest. I'm sure they will together make it suitable and comfortable.
Annie

EJ this evening - Odin in mind
Kuva Kuva

... guessing that :D Odin arrives at 29th March in afternoon 13.57. He's coming with a bouquet of red moss. ;)
robbo

Viesti Kirjoittaja robbo »

Hello Annie thats a cracking pic of EJ. The weather is really good here for this time of year and quite a few Ospreys have already been seen in England heading North hopefully Odin and others will arrive soon :D
Annie

I'm sorry, robbo, can't figure out, what "a cracking pic of EJ" actually mean. :|

Hey, how do you reckon about an arrival of Odin, when and in "which way" (with whole fish, with headless fish, with something else or just by himself.. or..)he's coming this year ? :)
Annie

Amazing Happenings - unexpected new Beginings?

A 'local lad' XD has been visiting the nest and EJ. In the evening I heard his courteship vocalizations, it took quite a long time (also from me to understand which "bird there actually was" :lol: ). The nest was at that moment empty. A bit later came an osprey with a huge fish (EJ??), and after awhile there were two ospreys, another one had a partly eaten fish in his talons.

Kuva Kuva Kuva Kuva Kuva Kuva
..and the nest was empty again. It got darker... the new lad came as a new master of the nest, ..., EJ came and they mated..
Kuva Kuva Kuva Kuva
...late in ful darkness EJ was wondering the suprisingly situation..
Kuva
Viimeksi muokannut Annie, 29 Maalis 2012 00:53. Yhteensä muokattu 2 kertaa.
Annie

Loch Garten osprey diary

News on the blue-ringed male.....

richard thaxton 28 Mar 2012 5:56 PM

Roy Dennis has called me back with details of the male bird that's been chatting up EJ here today at Loch Garten.

He's a local lad, from another nest "elsewhere in Strathspey". He's ringed blue, white letters XD, ringed by Roy at the Rothiemurchus Fish Farm back in 2000. He's part of quite an old pair, his girl is Green J, an old female, but together they have been a very successful pairing, producing young in most if not all years, though not last year, when they and so many others didn't.

On getting my voicemail message, recgnising the XO ring detail I gave him, as likely to be XD, Roy looked-in at his nest this evening. It has partly collapsed and fallen down and XD has begun to put a few sticks into an adjacent tree. This will account for his wanderings to Garten today, he's out of sorts. Roy's on the case and plans to rebuilt XD's nest pdq, which will almost certainly tempt him back from whence he came, leaving the coast clear for our boy, Odin, to arrive and claim the Loch Garten nest and EJ. But, we shall see........

Annie

About half an hour ago, EJ in the nest watching, listening and wee bit softly answering to Blue XD's courtship singing. Then nothing. Ej had to use more voice to have a leftover fish. She was hungry and angry in that point! And left for eating... and very soon arrived ... in a while XD had made some restorations in the nest. They mated.

Kuva Kuva Kuva KuvaKuva
Annie

:slap: how will this end?
Tiger_mz

Viesti Kirjoittaja Tiger_mz »

Hi. This is my first post here. Really exciting things happening at Loch Garten now.
Pb
Site Admin
Site Admin
Viesti:

Viesti Kirjoittaja Pb »

Tiger_mz kirjoitti:Hi. This is my first post here. Really exciting things happening at Loch Garten now.
Hi Tiger_mz

Welcome to our forum!
Ei minua varten tarvii keittää... :cb:
Lukittu